In today’s global village there are only two ways to increase your financial worth; by working for someone else or yourself and by having your assets work for you. Investing your assets or money in vehicles that increase with value allows you generate strong rates of return which in turn increases your financial worth.
The goal of every investments is to generate additional cash, regardless of the type of investments, be it stocks, bonds, mutual funds, t-bills, futures or even startups. That is why investing wisely is so important so you don’t lose money as every investments carries its own risk. Relying on one source of income as become an outdated way of making money. It is advisable that you invest money and time in different ventures. This decision might turn out to be one of the best life decisions you’ll ever make to secure your future.
There are various types of investments in Nigeria but we will be looking at investments that almost guarantees a good enough interest but one that doesn’t need you to acquire a lot of knowledge or invest as much time as money you put in.
With the rise of technology, some people have paved a way with their innovations to not only make money for themselves but also allow other people to do the same. From these innovations have risen new business sectors like fintechs (financial technology), ride-hailing services and agro-crowdfunding.
Here we have listed financial investments opportunities that you can get involved in from the comfort of your phone or at least one where it doesn’t take away much convenience from you.
These financial investments opportunities are from the sectors mentioned above.
Cashestate is a dollar denominated Investment platform that allow any Nigerian build a portfolio of dollar-based real estate investments in America. The company purchases and manages real estate (rental properties) on investors behalf while passing on the cash-flow and capital gains to the investors. Cashestate offers better rates than treasury bills and traditional real estate and also allows you invest in a stronger currency than the Naira. Cashestate currently has ₦175 Million under management and already has existing, returns producing assets in its portfolio.
- Platform: Web
- Minimum investment amount: $1,000. However, you can pay in $100 installments daily, weekly or monthly till it reaches the minimum investment amount.
- Investments returns: 10% to 13% per annum ( USD). You can reinvest your earnings or have it deposited into your linked account on the platform.
- Holding period: 1 year (mandatory holding period). 3 – 5 years for best result (Advisable).
- Insurance: Yes, all investments in Cashestate are 100% insured against damages and losses.
- Investment monitoring: Every investor gets a personalized dashboard when they sign up at Cashestate. Your funding, investment properties, ownership documents and periodic updates are pushed to you in real time. You can withdraw your funds any time you please, after the holding period. In other words, you are aware of every step we take with your investments.
- Value-Added Tax (VAT) charges on Investment: No. However, Cashestate withholds a portion of all disbursements to pay taxes to the IRS while you have the responsibility to report and pay taxes to the relevant authorities where you reside.
Payvest By Carbon
Paylater started out as an instant collateral-free loan lending platform but has gone on to create Payvest; a fixed-interest investment account. Payvest aim is to help people build wealth by earning great returns on their money. Payvest provides one of the best interest rates you can find available, anywhere. The minimum amount that can be saved on PayVest is ₦50,000 and the investment tenures are currently in 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. You can only withdraw full investment prior to its maturity period.
Investors earn interest on the platform on a quarterly basis and early withdrawal may lead to the forfeiture of interest not yet earned. Unlike other platforms on this list, PayVest doesn’t allow adding funds to an existing investment, the only option is to create another investment plan. To get on the PayVest investment plan, you’ll need to download the Paylater app.
- Platform: Android
- Interest rate: 15.5% annually
- Withdrawal charges: None
- Minimum withdrawal: None
PiggyVest (Formerly Piggybank)
Piggybank is a financial technology (fintech) company that has simplified saving and investing money in Nigeria via the internet. Having started out as a purely digital savings company, it quickly became an investment medium because of its high interest rates. Piggy bank like its other counterparts allow people to not only be able to save recurrently and manually but also earn noteworthy interest on their savings.
- Platforms: Web, Android, iOS
- Interest rate: Over 10% per annum
- Withdrawal charges: 5% fee but with 4 free-of-charge withdrawals annually
- Investment plan: Core savings, SafeLock Savings, Target savings and Group savings.
- Other features: PiggyFlex (a sub-account where all the interests generated from a Piggybank account is paid into). SafeLock: This feature allows you put an amount of money aside for a fixed period — without having any access to it till that time is up. Think of it like your own customized fixed deposit account.
CowryWise is like a blend of Piggybank and Paylater. Users on Cowrywise have access to high competitive interest rates irrespective of the amount saved. The platform also affords users, access to loans. Interest on savings is paid on a daily basis.
Cowrywise offers a fixed savings plan that allows you put away a lump sum for long periods. The longer the period, the higher the interest rate.
- Platform: Android. iOS
- Interest rate: 10% to 15%
- Withdrawal charges: None
- Investment plan: Periodic savings, Fixed Savings, One time savings.
- Minimum withdrawal: None
Payday Investor by ARM
PayDay Investor created by ARM Group allows users to create a savings goal and invests the money on behalf of the savers in its money market fund. The ARM Group manages assets of ₦967 Billion, so you can be rest assured that your money is in good hands. Returns on the Payday Investor app are paid quarterly. Payday Investor allows you decide how much and when you want to invest. Set multiple investment goals, auto invest and customize your investment plans all in the payday invest .
You can withdraw your investment (savings & yield) at anytime as long as all your KYC (Know your customer) requirements have been met.
- Platforms: Android, iOS, Web
- Interest rate: 12.6%
- Withdrawal/Funding charges: NEFT transfer fee of ₦52.50 / 1% convenience capped at ₦1,500
- Minimum withdrawal: ₦1,000
I-invest is a one of a kind app that enables you securely purchase and manage treasury bills from your mobile device. This company ensures risk free investments because its investment portfolio are treasury bills. The app provides a dashboard to track diverse investment portfolios, and offers a convenient way for retail investors to save money whilst earning attractive interest rates.
The minimum investment on I-invest, is a hundred thousand Naira (₦100,000). Interest accrues daily and the investment amount and interest is credited to your account upon maturity. You can also cash out your money (pre-liquidate) at anytime but after a minimum holding period of 30 days.
The I-invest app was launched by parthian partners in conjunction with sterling bank. It doesn’t matter what bank you use, you can access the offerings on the app.
- Platforms: Android, iOS
- Interest rate: 8% – 11%
- Maintenance Fees: None
- Pre-liquidate: Yes, after a minimum holding period of 30 days.
FINT is a loan marketplace that connects creditworthy borrowers to lenders. Borrowers get access to loans at affordable rates and lenders get their money back with interest. Any one can invest in the Fint marketplace knowing that their money is insured by Old Mutual insurance in the advent of death, job loss or accidental disability .
You can earn solid returns with your money by lending money on Fint and diversifying your portfolio beyond stocks, bonds, fixed deposits and savings account.
As a lender you can browse loans on the Fint platform and decide to fund credit-worthy borrowers based on 18 different criterias, like FINT score, amount and purpose of loan. Select individual loans, based on your lending criteria.You can also lend as little as ₦20,000 (in multiples of ₦20,000). Your monthly returns are deposited directly into your account.
- Platform: Web
- Investments Amounts: ₦20,000 – ₦1,000,000
- Interest rate: 26%- 39% annually
- Maintenance/Operation Fees: 1.5% Operation Fee deducted from monthly returns.
MAX is a last-mile delivery service option (MAX Now) coupled with a ride-hailing service using 200cc motorcycle (MAX Go). MAX offers you a safe way to move around Lagos Nigeria by hailing a motorcycle ride with the tap of a button or have a Champion (rider) pick and drop you or your packages off at your destination.
MAXGo provides you with an alternate source of income by putting your motorcycle or keke on their platform. You don’t have to worry. MAXGo team manages everything.
- Platform: MAxGo
- Investment Option: Financial investment and Asset Investment
- ROI for investors: 25%(Financial Investment), 70 – 75% (Asset investment)
Farmcrowdy is an online agriculture platform that connects farmers with sponsors (investors) interested in agriculture. The agro-tech company also empowers rural farmers by providing them with improved seeds, farm inputs, training on modern farming techniques and provides a market for the sale of their farm produce. This gives the farmers the capacity to farm more acres and by extension leads to increased food production and security in Africa.
Farm sponsors on farmcrowdy receive bi-weekly updates for farm cycles which are 6 months or less and monthly updates for farm cycles exceeding 6 months. These updates consist of written reports, pictures and videos showing the progress being made at different stages of the farm cycle.
Farmcrowdy has a profit sharing formula; 40% of the profit for the farmer, 40% of the profit for the farm sponsor and 20% of the profit for farmcrowdy. You can also sponsor as many farms that you want.
Farmcrowdy has provided insurance cover for all existing farm projects, so that in the event of unforeseen circumstances, the sponsor’s capital can be refunded. The insurance covers only the initial sponsorship capital, it does not cover the return after harvest.
- Platforms: Farmcrowdy
- Owner of farmland: Farmers
- ROI for investors: 6% – 25% (flat rate)
- Product listing: Maize, poultry farm, cassava, soybeans and rice.
- Range cost of farm products: ₦90,000 – ₦284,000
- Period of cycle: 6 – 12 months, depending on the farm you select.
Thrive agric is also an agric crowdfunding platform like Farmcrowdy. You can fund a farm or farms with a predictable ROI. Funding a farm can be easily done online and with the aid of our standby staff to ease you through the process.
You also get updates in multimedia formats on happenings on the farm and farmer lives, to help you keep track of events and offer practical knowledge on the process of production, from start to finish.
Once the harvest has been successful, expected returns of proceeds are sold and distributed to the sponsors within the stipulated time. All the farms on thriveagric go through insurance with Leadway assurance such that regardless of what goes wrong, sponsors capital are insured.
- Platforms: Thriveagric
- Owner of farmland: Farmers
- ROI for investors: 6% – 25% (depending on the type of produce)
- Product listing: Poultry farm, maize, groundnut, sorghum, cassava, cowpea, soybeans and rice.
- Range cost of farm products: ₦80,000 – ₦260,000
- Period of cycle: Fixed between 3 to 6 months.
E-farms is an online agricultural platform that aggregates funding from willing farm investors and uses the funds to finance active small-holder farmers and shares the profit with the investors and farmers. This company also operates a farmer’s academy which trains and funds Nigerian graduates intending to get into agriculture, but lacking the requisite skills and funds to do so.
The company manages the different farm projects on behalf of all the investors; ensuring that agricultural best practices is followed, for optimal yield. There is also a Memorandum of Understanding between Farm investors and E-farms. An email of the MOU is sent after successful registration to establish an agreement.
E-farms guarantees the safety of every investor’s funds, by insuring all farm projects. The company runs a tripled layer investment protection – agricultural insurance, investment insurance and physical insurance.
- Platform: efarms.com.ng
- Owner of farmland: Farmers
- ROI for investors: 15 – 35% (flat rate)
- Product listing: Maize, poultry farm, cassava, pineapple farm, catfish farm, snailery and soybeans.
- Period of cycle: 6 – 12 months