Do you need airtime urgently and want to know how to borrow airtime from Airtel to help sort you out. This guide will take you through simple steps for borrowing credit on your Airtel line.
Borrowing Credit from the Airtel network is possible because of the Airtel Extra Credit service.
Airtel Extra Credit
It can be annoying when you really need to make an urgent call and you don’t have airtime, with no way to recharge because of network downtime or because there is no way to fund your Phone line or you’re are in a remote place with no particular way to recharge or buy airtime.
If you use an airtel line, there’s a simple solution for this, it’s called Airtel Extra Credit.
Airtel’s Extra Credit allows Airtel users to borrow Airtime or Data from the Airtel Network using the Airtel Extra Credit code and repay when you make your next recharge on the Airtel line. However, you’re going to pay a 15% service charge when you recharge to pay back the airtime you borrowed. But if you borrowed N25 airtime, Airtel will charge you a 20% service charge.
However, there are certain requirements airtel users must meet before they can borrow airtime from Airtel Network. Let’s take a look at some of them.
The Requirements for Borrowing Airtime from Airtel Nigeria
- Your Airtel SIM must be registered.
- Your Airtel line needs to have been active for at least 2 months
- Your airtel number must have an average recharge of N200 per month as every customer will be considered based on a monthly recharge frequency and average spend to gauge their loyalty and consistency.
- You’ll need to have paid your previous Airtel airtime loan and previous charges to be able to borrow airtime from Airtel.
How to Borrow Airtime From Airtel Nigeria (Simple Steps)
- Dial the Airtel borrow credit code: *500*—Airtime amount you want to borrow— ‘#’. Here’s an example of how you type the code to borrow credit on Airtel, say 200 with of airtime: “*500*200#“. Or you can just dial *500# and follow the instructions.
- After dialling the Airtel borrow credit code, you should get a message notifying you that your airtime loan request is being processed, that’s if you are eligible to borrow airtime from Airtel. But if you don’t meet the requirements, Airtel will notify you that you need to recharge more airtime to qualify for borrowing Airtimefrom the network.
- After notifying you with the message that your Airtime loan is being processed, Airtel will credit your line with Airtime. In this case, N170 with of Airtime, since we asked for 200 and Airtel took a service fee of 15% before crediting your line.
How to borrow data on Airtel (4G SIM or Any SIM)
Airtime isn’t the only thing you can borrow from the Airtel Network. Airtel subscribers can also borrow data as well if they are out of data, and for some reason, can’t subscribe to any Airtel data bundle.
To borrow data from Airtel, follow these steps:
- Dial the shortcode: *500#
- Next, a prompt will display a list of options to choose from, enter 3 to borrow data and tap send.
- Then a list of data bundles (10MB to 1TB) that your Airtel line qualifies for will be displayed
- Next Select your preferred data bundle, and Airtel will activate the data plan in a matter of seconds.
Repaying your Airtel data loan is quite straightforward. Once you recharge the amount for the data bundle you borrowed. Airtel will automatically deduct it from your credit on your line.
Why can’t Airtel borrow me airtime?
Airtel only borrows airtime to subscribers they consider loyal and consistent. So your airtel line needs to have been active for at least 2 months and you need to have an average airtime recharge of N200 per month on your Airtel line. You also need to have paid any previous Airtel airtime loan or charges before you can borrow airtime on Airtel again.
Can I use borrowed airtime to buy data on Airtel?
Borrowed airtime on Airtel is simply for making calls and sending SMS. So No, You can’t use borrowed airtime to buy data on Airtel in Nigeria.
Code to Borrow airtime on Airtel
The code for borrowing airtime on your Airtel line is *500*AirtimeAmount#. Or just dial *500# and follow the prompts.
How to Borrow Airtime from Airtel without Paying back
Well, you should always pay your debt. However, the only way to borrow airtime from Airtel without paying back is to not use the Airtel line you used to borrow airtime, because whenever you recharge on that line, Airtel will automatically deduct their money.
See Related Content
- How to Transfer Airtime on Airtel
- How to Check BVN on Airtel Line
- How to Check Access Bank Balance on MTN, Airtel & Glo