Updated on August 27, 2023
Are you planning a trip to the United Kingdom from Nigeria? Navigating the UK visa application process is a crucial step in making your travel plans a reality. Whether it’s for tourism, business, or studies, understanding the process and associated fees can help you prepare effectively. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the UK visa application in Nigeria, highlighting the different visa categories, essential documents, and the all-important UK visa fees.
The application process for a UK visa might take up to 30 days, but you should apply three months in advance. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making your UK visa application in Nigeria go smoothly.
Understanding UK Visa Categories
The first step in applying for a UK visa is determining the appropriate visa category. Are you visiting for leisure, pursuing higher education, attending a conference, or joining family? Different categories cater to specific purposes, and selecting the right one ensures a seamless application process. Be sure to research the options and choose the one that aligns with your travel objective.
UK Visa Requirements for Nigerian Citizens
A successful application relies on accurate and complete documentation. Common documents include your passport, recent photographs, travel itinerary, proof of accommodation, and financial records.
To apply for a UK visa you must have the following documents:
- A valid passport
- Travel itinerary
- Biometric information
- UK visa invitation letter
- Two photographs
- Proof that you have the financial means to fund your living expenses while in the United Kingdom.
- UK visa application form
- Proof of accommodation.
- Covid 19 test results.
Applicants from Nigeria may need a Tuberculosis test for the type of visa you’re applying for.
Once you have all your supporting documents prepared and in order, you can start your online UK visa application.
How to Choose the Right UK Visa Type
Most of the application process for a British visa, including the visa requirements, depends on your purpose of visiting the UK. Your purpose of travel to the UK determines what type of visa you need, which can be one of the following UK visa types:
UK Tourist Visa
For all those who wish to go to the UK either to visit friends or family members, for holidays, business, private medical treatment, or to get married, etc.
UK Transit Visa
For those who need to pass through the UK in transit to another country.
UK Work Visa
For all those who wish to engage in paid activity in the UK, job placement they already secured.
UK Study Visa
For all those who wish to travel to the UK to enrol in a study course/university. If your study is short-term you ought to apply for a UK short-term study visa. Whereas, if you need long-term permission to stay in the UK, you have to apply for a Tier 4 Visa.
This visa includes visas to set up a business in the UK and visas to join a family member living in the UK.
206 People are Reading: How to Send Money to Nigeria from UK
How to Schedule a UK Visa Appointment in Nigeria
Gone are the days of paper applications. The UK visa application is now online. Create an account on the official visa application portal, fill in your details, and submit the application form.
Here’s a more detailed step by step process:
- After making the appointment online, print the email confirming the details of your appointment, and take it with you to the UK visa application centre you have chosen to attend, together with the required documents.
- Attend the UK visa interview
- When you attend the UK visa application centre, you will need to provide your biometric information, which includes a photograph and a digital scan of your fingerprints.
- Afterwards, collect your passport at the specified Visa Application Centre. You will be notified when it is ready for collection.
What does the UK Visa Online Application form contain?
Usually, the UK visa online application form contains questions on personal information as:
- Your name & surname.
- Country of residence.
- Marital status.
- Personal number.
- Passport number.
- Reason for wishing to enter the UK.
- Other information about your application.
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Utility bills
If you’re travelling for business, you’ll need to bring a letter of invitation, training confirmation, and conference confirmation, as well as full contact information for an authorized representative from your employer, Visa fee, Confirmation of flight booking and A valid international passport.
If the information in the UK Visa application form doesn’t comply with the information in the other required documents, your application will be rejected!
You must fill out the application ensuring you input a valid email address to where a link to your application can be sent.
After making the payment, it redirects to the TLS Contact portal where you can book an appointment for biometrics. In the drop-down menu, select where you prefer to take your biometric.
You have 3 options, Abuja, Ikeja, and Victoria Island. Once you have chosen a location, you cannot undo this process again. Please note that Victoria Island Centre is more expensive due to taxes and other associated costs.
How Much is UK Visa Fees in Nigeria?
The UK visa fees in Nigeria is determined by the kind of visa application you’re making. For example:
- Tourist visas cost N55,500
- While Student visas N200,000 and
- The spouse visa fee is N872,000
You pay the fee as part of your online UK Visa application in Nigeria. Please be aware, that fees are non-refundable even if your application is refused.
For more information about fees, go to the UK government portal
How to Apply for a UK Visa in Nigeria
The steps for UK visa application in Nigeria are as follows:
- You should begin filling out your UK online visa application form once you’ve gathered and properly prepared all of your supporting documents and double-checked that your passport is valid for travel.
- After completing the application, pay the visa money, and schedule an appointment at a visa application centre.
- You’ll get an email confirming your appointment and letting you know what documents you need to bring.
- A GWF number will be issued as well
- You’ll register your information at TLScontact is a website as you will not be able to attend your appointment if you do not register. After you’ve registered, you can track your application on the TLScontact website.
- Show up at a UK visa application centre for your appointment and submit your biometrics.
- Allow time for the processing of your visa application. The TLScontact website will allow you to keep track of your visa application.
- Bring your passport to the Visa Application Center where it was assigned to you. When it’s ready to pick up, you’ll be alerted.
Checkout: How to Apply for MSME Survival Fund
Tips for a Successful UK Visa Application in Nigeria
To increase your chances of a successful application, ensure all information provided is accurate and consistent. Be prepared to explain the purpose of your visit and your ties to Nigeria. Submit all required documents and attend your biometric appointment on time.
Embarking on a journey to the UK involves meticulous planning, and understanding the visa application process is a crucial part of that. Armed with this knowledge of visa categories, fees, and application procedures, you can approach the process confidently. Remember, preparation is key, and adhering to the guidelines ensures a smoother application experience. Your UK adventure awaits – start your visa application journey today!
UK Visa Processing
The visa application process in the United Kingdom might take four to six days. Some visa applications, on the other hand, can take up to 30 days if documents are lacking or if they require special attention due to a criminal record or a history of refusal.
From Monday to Friday, you will be able to pick up your passport and visa (except on public holidays) but before this, you will receive an SMS notification that your application has been sent to the UK Embassy.
If you are sceptical about the process of getting your UK visa, I recommend you use a visa application service that is authentic.