Last Updated on May 9, 2023
One of the worst things that can happen is when your electricity units finish and you can’t contact a vendor or a credit outlet during an emergency when you need to buy electricity units. For example, when the electric distribution company’s offices are closed at midnight. That’s why we’ve created this guide on how to buy electricity online in Nigeria.
All you can do is go online and have your power restored, but sometimes you may not know exactly how to go about that, which is why we have made this post for you.
It will not only tell you the various platforms that will allow you to successfully buy electricity online, but It will also guide you on how to use all these platforms. All you need is to follow the listed requirements and steps and you’re good to go.
See: How to get Jobs in Canada from Nigeria
Requirements for Paying Electricity Bills Online in Nigeria
Do you have trouble paying your power bills online? Here are some of the essential requirements for online prepaid power meter recharging.
- Must have a smartphone, laptop, or desktop computer
- Good internet connection
- You should have a prepaid meter number.
- People who are unable to transfer funds have access to ATM card information.
- A contact number
- An email address too.
9 Best Ways to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria
Here are the best ways to buy electricity online in Nigeria:
How to Buy Electricity Online Using Bank Mobile Apps
On their platforms, most Nigerian banks have made it easy to conduct online transactions. All that is needed of you is a smartphone with the bank’s app.
Follow these easy steps to get started with buying electricity online in Nigeria using mobile bank apps:
- Log in to your bank’s mobile app.
- Select the option to pay your power bill.
- Choose the power distribution company that your prepaid meter is registered with.
- Fill in your prepaid meter number as well as the quantity you want to buy.
- Fill up your banking information and confirm using the one-time password (OTP) given to your phone.
- In a few seconds, the recharge pin will be given to your phone number.
See: How to Save in Dollars in Nigeria
How to Buy Electricity Online Using Bank USSD Code
Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) is a GSM communication method that is used to communicate text between a mobile phone and a network application software.
Because USSD code is often used for online transactions such as purchasing a recharge card or transferring funds to another account, you may use it to pay your power bills and reload your prepaid meter.
The GT Bank USSD code is 737, depending on your banking.
- On your phone, dial *737#.
- Select 6 (Pay Bill) from the drop-down menu and submit.
- 3 (utilities) should be chosen and sent.
- Choose one application for your area from the list of electricity distribution companies (town)
- Fill in the amount you wish to add to your account and follow the remainder of the on-screen instructions.
- It should be noted that not all electricity distribution providers offer this service.
How to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria Using iRecharge
iRecharge is a third-party portal that allows you to buy power units for your prepaid meter, as well as buy data, airtime, and make other online payments.
Follow these steps to buy electricity online using iRecharge:
- Go to iRecharge’s website and create an account. You choose whether you want a personal or corporate account; iRecharge Plus is the best choice for personal usage.
- Provide your phone number as well as your first and last name.
- Activate your link by logging into your email account.
- Go to the wallet and pick “fund wallet” from the left-hand menu; the goal is to put money into it so you can start making purchases, topping up your prepaid meter, or making any other purchase you want right there.
- Click Continue after entering the amount you wish to deposit. Note that card-based wallet top-up transactions are subject to a 1.5 per cent service fee. For example, if you put N200 into your wallet, you will be charged N3, resulting in a N203 deduction from your account balance.
- Scroll down to pay securely with Pay Stack and wait for the page to load.
- Pay with your credit card.
- To recharge your prepaid meter, go to your iRecharge dashboard, select energy bill, and input the amount you wish to recharge. A prepaid meter PIN will be provided to your phone number and email.
- Simply go to your prepaid meter and input the PIN.
How to Buy Electricity Online Using Quickteller
Here’s how to buy electricity online in Nigeria successfully using Quickteller, just steps complete these steps:
- Choose a distribution firm at Quickteller. You may use the search box on the homepage to find one.
- Fill in the blanks. The information you provide includes your meter number, email address, mobile phone number, a one-time password, and the amount you want to pay.
- Review the information and click proceed to confirm the amount. This service comes with a minor transaction fee.
- Fill in your credit card information and submit your payment. You’ll be sent to a web-payment page where you may make a payment using your e-wallet or debit card.
- Confirm the transaction and recharge the recharge code. As a precaution, Quickteller will give you an OTP to your phone after you’ve completed the transaction.
- You’ll see a successful payment notice at the top of the page after you’ve finished. On this page, you’ll also see a recharge pin code. Fill up your prepaid meter with it.
See: How to Buy Shares in Nigeria
How to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria using VTU Website
Here are the easy measures you take to make it a success: Visit the VTU website for further information or follow these steps to get started:
- Choose the electrical distribution provider with whom you have an account.
- Fill in your meter number.
- Enter the cost of the power units you want to buy.
- Fill in your phone number and email address, then click the “Submit” button.
- Fill up your credit card information.
- Wait for your prepaid token once you’ve confirmed your order summary.
How to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria using PHCN official website
The majority of people are unaware that Nigeria’s Power Holding Company has a fully operating website. You may complete all of your online transactions here.
This approach, however, is confined to just a few regions of the nation, where customers employ Eko Distributing Company, Ikeja Distribution Company, and Ibadan Distribution Company.
Here are the steps to take:
- Visit the PHCN’s official website: https://www.phcnpins.com
- Select an electrical provider.
- Fill up the information of your prepaid meter, including your name, meter name, and location.
- Select an online payment option and provide the required information, such as bank name, credit card type, and number.
- To complete payment, enter the One-Time Password that was provided to your phone.
How to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria using BuyPower.ng
This is another online platform where you may pay your power bill and fill up your prepaid meter without having to leave your house.
AEDC, Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company, Jos Electricity Distribution Company, and others are among BuyPower.ng’s partners.
Abuja, Kaduna, Bauchi, Benue, Gombe, Kebbi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau, Soko, and Zamfara are among the 12 Nigerian states where they are accessible.
You may use the buypower app or any of your favourite browsers to fill out the form, however, we prefer Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and other wonderful browsers that load forms quickly.
You can also use the Buypower USSD code to buy electricity by dialling *402*00009548*amount# on your cell phone.
How to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria using GTCO/ GTBank
We’re utilizing GT Bank’s ibank online platform this time to pay your power bill and replenish your prepaid meter:
- On your tablet or laptop, go to Gtbank’s ibank platform and log in. Alternatively, if you have a banking mobile app on your smartphone (and have used it previously), you may utilize it.
- Select “Electricity Payment” from the drop-down menu.
- From the list of options, choose your power distribution provider. Eko Disco, Enugu Prepaid, Enugu Postpaid, Abuja Disco, PHED Prepaid, PHED Postpaid, JEDC Prepaid, JEDC Postpaid, IBEDC Postpaid, and IBEDC Prepaid are among the options offered.
- Enter the amount you wish to buy and your meter number. Check and double-check the information, then place an order for payment.
- If you’re making a payment using an online channel, such as GT Bank ibank, you’ll need to utilize your GT Bank token to complete the transaction.
- If you’re using your app as your channel, fill in the required information and confirm your transaction.
- Within seconds, a confirmation message would be issued to the phone number associated with your bank, as well as your prepaid meter PIN.
- Go directly to the location where your prepaid meter is installed and input the PIN number you were given.
- That’s one of the easiest methods for topping up and recharging your prepaid energy meter online.
How to Buy Electricity Online in Nigeria via Instant Energy
This is a global platform that offers energy solutions to businesses, individuals, and industries. You may use the platform by checking in to their official website or downloading the app on your phone.
Create an account with Instant Energy by downloading the app or going to their website: .
- Choose purchase electricity and enter your name, phone number, meter number, and recharge amount.
- Fill in your bank information to complete the payment.
- In a few moments, you’ll obtain your prepaid recharge pin after entering the OTP supplied by your bank.
- That’s how you fill a prepaid meter over the internet.
- You may avoid gloomy days and difficulties by following the above-detailed instructions on how to reload a prepaid energy meter online.
- All you have to do now is be careful while entering your card information. Always conduct such transactions on a secure network away from prying eyes.
Leave a Reply