Recently updated on November 16th, 2023 at 09:49 pm
Last Updated on November 16, 2023
Personal Travel Allowance (PTA) is an essential aspect of international travel for Nigerian citizens. It allows individuals to legally exchange their local currency for foreign currency for personal expenses during their travels.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of applying for PTA online in Nigeria, ensuring a smooth and convenient experience.
How to Apply for PTA Online in Nigeria
1. Create an Account
Visit the Central Bank of Nigeria portal for PTA application or the selected authorized bank. Look for the PTA application section and create an account if required. Provide the necessary personal details, including your name, address, and contact information.
2. Filling out Personal and Travel Details
Log in to your account and navigate to the PTA application form.
Fill in your personal information, such as full name, date of birth, nationality, and occupation. Provide details about your travel, including the destination, purpose, and duration of the trip.
3. Uploading Necessary Documents
Scan or take clear photos of the required documents mentioned earlier.
Upload the documents one by one on the designated sections of the application form.
Ensure that the uploaded files are in the required format and meet the specified size limits.
4. Verify Your PTA Application
Review all the information and upload documents carefully.
Make sure all details are accurate and match the supporting documents.
Double-check for any errors or missing information.
5. Submit the Application
Click on the submit button to send your PTA application.
Keep a record of the application reference number or acknowledgement slip for future reference.
6. Application Fees and Payment Methods
PTA applications in Nigeria typically require the payment of a processing fee, which varies depending on the platform and the amount of foreign currency requested.
Payment methods can vary, but they often include options such as online banking transfers, debit card payments, or direct deposit at a designated bank branch.
Also See: How to Apply for UK Visa in Nigeria
Eligibility Criteria for Applying for PTA Online in Nigeria
Before applying for PTA, it is crucial to understand the eligibility criteria set by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Typically, individuals who are residents of Nigeria, hold a valid Nigerian passport and have confirmed travel arrangements are eligible to apply for PTA.
Required Documents for PTA in Nigeria
To complete the PTA application, you will need the following documents:
- Valid Nigerian passport.
- A copy of the flight reservation or ticket.
- Proof of accommodation (hotel reservation or invitation letter).
- Completed PTA form, which can be obtained from authorized banks or the CBN website.
- Valid identification document (national ID card, driver’s license, or voter’s card).
Online Platforms for PTA Application
Several online platforms facilitate the PTA application process in Nigeria. The most commonly used platforms include the official website of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and some authorized commercial banks’ websites which include:
1. Authorized Commercial Banks’ Websites: Many authorized commercial banks in Nigeria also offer online PTA application services on their websites. Some of these banks include:
- Access Bank
- Zenith Bank
- Guaranty Trust Bank (GTBank)
- First Bank of Nigeria
- United Bank for Africa (UBA)
- Stanbic IBTC Bank
2. Online Travel Agencies (OTAs): Some online travel agencies in Nigeria may also provide PTA application services on their platforms. Examples of popular OTAs in Nigeria include:
- Travelstart Nigeria
- Jumia Travel
Aways note that the availability of online platforms for PTA application may vary, and it is advisable to check with the official websites of the Central Bank of Nigeria or authorized banks for the most up-to-date information on PTA application procedures and platforms.
Checkout: How to Apply for US Visa in Nigeria
7. Processing Time
The processing time for PTA applications can vary, but it usually takes around 48 to 72 hours. It is advisable to apply well in advance of your intended travel dates to allow sufficient time for processing and approval.
Tips and Guidelines for a Successful PTA Application
- Ensure that all the required documents are complete and accurate before submitting the application.
- Double-check the information provided to avoid any errors or discrepancies.
- Follow the specified guidelines for document format and size during the uploading process.
- Keep track of your application reference number for future communication or follow-ups.
- Contact the bank or CBN helpline if you encounter any issues or have queries regarding the application.
What happens if my PTA Application is Rejected?
If your PTA application is rejected, there could be several reasons behind it. When faced with a rejected application, it is essential to understand the specific reason for the rejection. Typically, the bank or the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will provide an explanation or notification outlining the grounds for rejection.
Here are some possible scenarios and steps you can take:
- Incomplete or Inaccurate Documentation: If your application is rejected due to incomplete or inaccurate documentation, carefully review the reasons provided by the bank or CBN. Ensure that all the required documents are complete, accurate, and meet the specified guidelines. Make any necessary corrections or provide any missing documents and resubmit your application.
- Insufficient Funds: The requested amount of foreign currency in your PTA application might exceed the available balance in your account. In such cases, consider adjusting the requested amount or ensuring that you have sufficient funds to cover the requested PTA amount. You can either resubmit your application with the revised amount or deposit additional funds into your account before reapplying.
- Failure to Meet Eligibility Criteria: If you do not meet the eligibility criteria set by the CBN for PTA applications, your application may be rejected. Review the eligibility requirements and ensure that you fulfil all the necessary criteria. If you believe you meet the requirements and your application was rejected in error, contact the bank or CBN for clarification and guidance on how to proceed.
- Mistakes or Errors in the Application: Carefully review your application to ensure that all the information provided is accurate and free from errors. If your application was rejected due to mistakes or errors, make the necessary corrections and resubmit your application. Pay attention to details such as personal information, travel details, and supporting documentation.
- Seek Assistance from the Bank or CBN: If you are unsure about the reason for rejection or require further assistance, contact the bank or the CBN helpline for clarification. They can provide guidance, explain the reasons behind the rejection, and assist you in rectifying any issues or discrepancies.
Final Words on CBN PTA Application in Nigeria
Applying for Personal Travel Allowance (PTA) online in Nigeria streamlines the process and makes it more convenient for travellers.
By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article and ensuring the completeness and accuracy of your documents, you can navigate the PTA application process smoothly.
Remember to comply with the guidelines provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria or authorized banks to ensure a successful application and enjoy a hassle-free travel experience.